Monday 20 August 2012

Taiwan, Day 1

Day 1: Taipei 101

My first impression coming into Taipei was that it was just like SimCity! I'm sure all big cities in the world are like that, towers and apartments and construction and half-finished roads and tiny-looking cars, but the drive from Taoyuan Airport was particularly mesmerising as there was a lot of infrastructure being built. Of course I forgot to take any pictures because I was so busy rubbernecking at people driving on the wrong side of the road and all the freaking scooters. Have some blurry artistic cityscape (the blurriness represents the fast pace of life! and the lack of focus is the impersonality! and...and...yeah.) instead.


Between travelling and visiting 101 there were a few things like dinner and lectures, but I barely had time to sit down and was still in the same clothes I'd been travelling in (yuk) so there are no photos of me. Hamish was feeling a bit sticky and gross, so I left him to sleep while I was out.

Obligatory Taipei 101 lit up shot.

We actually didn't go to the top because we are all cheapskates and the view from our hotel was pretty good anyway, so we all went to the mall at the bottom (full of designer stores) and a huge enormous bookstore down the road.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post...there were these awesome Swatch watches in Duty Free. Anyone remember the hypnotising glasses you used to be able to cut out from old comics/serials? The one on the left of it is pretty awesome too.

On the right - actually looks a bit like a foetus with a knot in the umbilical cord, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment